Wednesday 1 October 2014

** Rinny Reviews ** Dead over heels By Alison Kemper

Disclaimer : I was Provided a free copy of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.


Title: Dead Over Heels
Author: Alison Kemper
                    Publish Date: September 29th 2014
            Published by: Entangled Teen
Genre: YA Horror


Synopsis


The end of the world just might be their perfect beginning…

Glenview, North Carolina. Also known―at least to sixteen-year-old Ava Pegg as the Land of Incredibly Boring Vacations. What exactly were her parents thinking when they bought a summer home here? Then the cute-but-really-annoying boy next door shows up at her place in a panic…hollering something about flesh-eating zombies attacking the town.

At first, Ava’s certain that Cole spent a little too much time with his head in the moonshine barrel. But when someone―or something―rotted and terrifying emerges from behind the woodpile, Ava realizes this is no hooch hallucination. The undead are walking in Glenview, and they are hungry. Panicked, Ava and Cole flee into the national forest. No supplies, no weapons. Just two teenagers who don’t even like each other fighting for their lives. But that’s the funny thing about the Zombpocalypse. You never know when you’ll meet your undead end. Or when you’ll fall dead over heels for a boy…

Review

I was not sure what to expect going in to this book as I had never read any YA horror before and had not read a zombie book in years. After reading the synopsis on Netgalley. I knew I just had to request it. I also went in blind to the author as I had not read her previous novel (which I now plan on reading when I get the chance). The first time I sat down to read I got to 23% before my battery died. I was disappointed as I did not want to put it down. I was just getting into the story and liking it. By 26% I was fully invested and knew that this book was going to be good. My heart was pounding because it felt like I was there alongside Ava and Cole trying to survive, no doubt about it I was hooked.

Our heroine is Ava and our hero Cole they are the main two characters in the book. I found them both likeable, genuine, endearing and think they complimented each other perfectly. They both had their own strengths and weaknesses which for their age, situation and different upbringings I thought was also perfect and realistic. With the two of them being so opposite and smart, they learned from each other's differences and qualities which is realistic. It is also why I think I found them so reliable and genuine as our storytellers. They both developed well throughout the book and grew together not just as themselves but as a duo too. There was no instant love which I like a lot. Instant love is so overdone I feel these days. I loved the banter not just between them but in their thoughts about one another too. They played well of each other so witty, sassy and funny. Thoroughly entertaining.

Of course we also have some secondary characters. We encounter some of them more than others. Our secondary characters are Bethany, Mr Beaver, Ava's parents, Jay (Cole's brother) and Cole's dad.
The main two out of the secondary characters that we encounter are Bethany and Mr Beaver. I felt that the development of the secondary characters was appropriate for what they gave to the story. Bethany boy does she give me chills, wouldn't want to mess with her she is an awesome "villain". I would definitely love to read a short novella about her and her story that would run alongside Cole and Ava's. It's going to sound so strange but I honestly cannot pick a favourite character. However crossbow to my head, I'd have to pick Mr Beaver, he is also my favourite part(s) of the whole book, I like to keep my reviews spoiler free so all I will say is even though he is only a secondary character he is awesome sauce #ReeRawr lol.

The book is written from duel POV Cole and Ava's. I enjoyed the different POV's, they were both as I said before reliable and genuine. I prefer duel POV's where its possible I like getting inside everyone's heads. They were both entertaining, fun and witty in their own right. I think if the book had been written from any other kind of POV it would have been disappointing. You gain so much insight into the duo and see their romance blossom from mild disdain. It also helped seeing certain situations from both point points of view. My favourite quote in the book is a thought Cole had “Is she kidding? Zombies on our tail and she’s freaking over spiders?”  because that is so me I am petrified of spiders.

I enjoyed the authors writing style and thought it worked well. It was playful, cute and different to the usual style of writing I read. I also think that for being YA the horror element and gore was just right. The world building made sense and her writing is detailed enough without being too over descriptive. I felt like I was there beside the characters, fighting for my survival. She explained situations well. The plot was interesting and something different for me. The story is action packed and fast paced. I was worried for a little while that the ending perhaps would not tie up as tidy as I like. However that did not happen the ending was a solid good ending, perhaps slightly predictable but not disappointingly so. The book did have predictable moments but they could not be helped and did not detract for me and there was a twist earlyish on I did not see coming.

The only thing that really bothered me about the plot was a couple of things to do with the zombies. If you look at the zombies as a twist on the *norm* and do not think into it to them too much. I do not think it would be a issue. However as someone who is married to a horror fanatic and regularly gets made to watch zombie movies. I was left a little confused (don't see some things as possible) on a couple of points to do with them and as I keep my review spoiler free to the best of my abilities I can't really say any more. So if you are a zombie lover just keep your mind open like I said above.

I honestly did really enjoy this book. It was a easy, fun, action packed, fast paced, funny enjoyable read. I would definitely recommend this book to YA readers of all ages and anyone who likes zombies with a hint of romance. I have even considered buying a copy for my step daughter who is a bit of a chicken. She likes the idea of horror movies etc and can't wait to be old enough to watch them with her dad. I think this might be the perfect stepping stone for her.


My Rating :


Purchase Links

Author Links




We love comments share your thoughts and views below :)

No comments: